Monday, November 3, 2014

Spaghetti Yarn Baskets {crochet}

Something I have been wanting to try for a really long time. And with a daughter's birthday just looming around the corner, there was no better time to try.



Spaghetti yarn is often made from up-cycled t-shirts, especially those with out sideseams. As I didn't have surplus t-shirts lying around waiting to be cut up, I purchased 2m of stretch material from my local sewing shop. I found a tutorial online - now that I want to link it, I can't find it back. Don't let that stop you, there are lots of others out there! It didn't take long to cut it up using my green mat and roller cutter. I cut strips of 1&1/4 inch wide, and stretched it out, helping the yarn edges curl, as I rolled the lengths into manageable size balls. 



Then I found my 6.5mm hook and loosely* using this pattern I crocheted the two baskets up with a little yarn left over. I used some dotti cotton and lined both baskets, using a big button hole for the handle to be able to go through.



While it isn't so gentle on your hands to crochet, I found holding the hook in a knife position and using movement from my shoulder and elbow, it wasn't too bad to crochet. And it works up quick!


Verdict? She loves them, and they are currently home to hair-tie goodies. 

* I say loosely, I pinned this pattern via pinterest but wanted a more open basket. I have modified the pattern.

Love to know if you have made spaghetti yarn and what you have made. 




1 comment:

  1. These are really cute - they are on my list of things to try :)

    ReplyDelete